To recover from the surgery for having your wisdom tooth or teeth removed can take up to 2 weeks. During the wisdom teeth healing process you may feel:
- Swollen cheeks and mouth. For the first few days, this will be worse but will gradually improve; To reduce the swelling, gently press a cold cloth to your face.
- Some mild visible bruising on your cheek. For up to 2 weeks the skin may be bruised.
- A sore or stiff jaw. Within 7 to 10 days this should wear off.
- Severe pain. If the extraction was difficult or complicated this becomes worse.
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- Numbness or tingling of your face, tongue, or lips.
- Report to your oral surgeon or dentist immediately if you have any excess bleeding, severe pain, or any other unusual symptoms.
What are the wisdom tooth healing stages?
As soon as your procedure is complete, healing wisdom tooth hole
24 to 48 hours after surgery
A blood clot will start to form over the hole, during the first 24 to 48 hours after the extraction. Keep the hole free of food particles and bacteria, this blood clot helps. Towards healing and allows gum tissue and bone to start forming, it is a necessary first step. The new gum tissue has already started to form in the hole but it won’t be visible to your eye. During this period, bleeding from the wisdom tooth hole will slow down and eventually stop. On the side of your mouth where your tooth was pulled, you will continue to have swelling and tenderness.
7 to 21 days after surgery
As gum tissues repair and regenerate, your tooth hole will start to visibly close. The stitches will be removed or start to dissolve if you had them. The longest amount of time to heal will be taken by large tooth extractions, molars, and any impacted teeth.
1 to 4 months after surgery
Your tooth hole should be completely healed with no indentation based on how extensive the extraction is. The hole in your tooth’s socket should also be completely filled in with new bone.
Normal wisdom tooth healing
In normal wisdom tooth healing, if your teeth were impacted or came in at an awkward angle, it could take a full week to recover. In three to four days most people fully recover from wisdom teeth surgery. You can still develop an infection weeks after surgery because the wound left behind after surgery won’t be completely healed for months. Pay attention to any signs of trouble and take care of yourself. The day after surgery, you can resume normal activities, but avoid any activity that could dislodge stitches or the blood clot over your wound. This includes:
- Strenuous exercise
- Drinking from a straw
What is the cost of wisdom tooth removal?
Per tooth, the wisdom teeth removal cost
is from $75 to $250. The cost of impacted wisdom teeth ranges between $200 to $600 per tooth. The typical cost of all 4 wisdom teeth removal around $600 to $1100.